Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Love! - Eminence Organics Starter Set for Normal Skin Review

If you read my original post of when I got this set, you'll know that I've been wanting to try Eminence for probably ever. Let's be realistic, I want to try everything I see lol.  I've read and seen (on YouTube) nothing but rave reviews of their products and couldn't wait to try some out. Originally, I thought it was a tad overpriced and I still sort of do, but the samples are pretty large.  I have only finished up three of the five samples and have been using these products for about a month now.

The set includes the following, which came in a gorgeous wooden box:

  • Eminence Sweet Red Rose Cleanser - 0.5 oz
  • Eminence Rosehip and Maize Exfoliating Masque - 0.5 oz
  • Eminence Stone Crop Masque - 0.5 oz
  • Eminence Apricot Whip Moisturizer - 0.5 oz
  • Eminence Naseberry Treatment Cream - 0.5 oz


  • I purchased it from Spa Boutique for $49 CAN.



    I also received two additional (mini) samples with my order from Spa Boutique, the Sugar Plum Whip Moisturizer and the Blueberry Soy Night Recovery Cream.  I'll review them first and then review the actual set.



    Sugar Plum Whip Moisturizer Description: The sweet scent of plum and the active action of evening primrose revive your complexion to leave it comforted and hydrated. Plums are proven to have high levels of phyto-nutrients to fight free radicals and the signs of aging and this smooth whip of nutritious fruits gives your skin the moisture that it needs to look younger and line-free. For normal to dry and sensitive skin. Full size retails for $60 CAN for 2oz.

    Review: This smells delicious, just like candied plums.  It's a fairly thick cream but can be diluted with a bit of water as all of Eminence's other moisturizers.  I found that it didn't absorb well into my skin and just left it looking greasy but still dry in certain areas.  I began using it as a mix with my Jane Iredale concealer until it was finished. I won't be purchasing the full size.


    Blueberry Soy Night Recovery Cream Description: Designed to rejuvenate your skin while you sleep this scrumptious cream repairs the signs of aging and returns firmness. The most active renewal happens while we rest and by harnessing the active nutrients of blueberry and soy milk, skin wakes up looking great and well rested every morning. Sweet dreams. Full size retails for $60 CAN for 2oz.

    Review: Again, smells delicious! It's a thick textured cream, as most night creams are, but I feel the same about it as I do about the Sugar Plum Whip...it didn't absorb into my skin.  I actually would wake up with little red bumps on my forehead as well when I applied this at night.  It didn't do anything for me and so, I won't be purchasing the full size.


    Time for the set itself! Eeeee, so excited to share my thoughts of this set with you!


    Sweet Red Rose Cleanser Description: This hydrating, soothing cleanser is a delicious light cleansing milk with the fresh juices of fragrant roses and maize germ oil. It's a bouquet of roses for your skin! In one step, it thoroughly cleanses your eye and face area as well as hydrate and vitalize your complexion. Full size retails for $42 CAN for 8oz/250 ml. 

    Review: You can't see it, but this cleanser is a very light pink rosey colour and it smells exactly like roses.  I don't personally enjoy the smell of rose(s) unless it's the flower itself and even that can get annoying to me.  Scent preference aside, this milky cleanser does a brilliant job of removing all of my makeup (including mascara) without irritation. My skin is left very soft, moisturized and clean.  While I wouldn't purchase a full size, because of the scent, I would definitely love to try one of their other cleansers.

    Ingredients: Red Rose Petals, Red Rose Juice, Corn Germ (Zea Mays) Oil, Natural Cream Base, Bioflavonoids, Red Rose Distillate, Calendula Oil, Natural Moisturizing Factor, Biocomplex™ (Vitamin A, Esther C, Vitamin E, Coenzyme Q10, Alpha Lipoic Acid), Red Rose Oil, Xanthan Gum, Glycerine, Glycine Derivative



    Rosehip Maize Exfoliating Masque Description: Think all purifying masks are too irritating for your sensitive skin? Let rosehip and maize clear and cleanse your pores while calming, hydrating, and soothing your skin at the same time. The gentle exfoliating properties of maize flour remove dead skin cells without damaging your delicate skin. Full size retails for $42 CAN for 2oz.

    Review: First off, this masque/mask smells like a bathroom cleaner. It was the least appealing scent of them all, just throwing that out there.  This is a gritty but slightly sticky product that isn't really a traditional exfoliator.  I applied this to my face, let it sit for about 10 min, then removed it with a hot towel or I'd wet my fingers and massage it into my skin.  I found the towel worked best to exfoliate than fingers, but I guess it depends on how rough you like it.  No comment. While my skin was left super soft, it was also a little irritated and that's because it has salicylic acid (which I didn't know until I emailed Eminence asking for an ingredient list). Salicylic acid irritates my skin just as much as tea tree does. Luckily, I only used this about twice a week and therefore my skin didn't go too crazy on me. If you can use salicylic, I'd recommend trying this as a weekly treatment because it really did leave my skin incredibly soft yet still hydrated.  I will not be purchasing the full size.

    Ingredients: ROSEHIP, ROSEHIP JUICE, CORN EXTRACT, ZINC OXIDE, CORN GERM OIL,
    BIOFLAVONOIDS, HONEY, CORN GRANULES, NATURAL MOISTURIZING FACTOR, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, NATURAL CREAM BASE, BIOCOMPLEX™ (VITAMIN A, ESTHER C, VITAMIN E, COENZYME Q10, ALPHA LIPOIC ACID), SALICYLIC ACID, XANTHAN GUM, LEMON OIL, MINT OIL, GLYCERIN, GLYCINE DERIVATIVE.

     

    Stone Crop Masque Description: Stone crop, an exotic succulent that excels in increasing the moisture content and health of all skin types, leaves the skin radiant and more youthful looking. Sensitive skin is calmed, oily to dry skin is normalized, and pigmentation is reduced. Stone crop is an intense healing plant used by herbalists for centuries to heal a multitude of skin conditions. Now you, too, can experience its wonderful effects. Full size retails for $42 CAN for 2oz.

    Review: This smells exactly like Herbal Essence shampoo!! If you have ever used or at least smelled a bottle of their shampoo, you know what I'm talking about.  If you haven't, then just take a sniff next time you're at the grocery store or something, smells yummy. This mask is a bit sticky and there are chunks of, what I'm assuming is, stone crop but it glides onto the skin so nicely. It actually lasted me an extra couple of uses compared to the Rosehip Masque because a little goes a very long way.  It instantly soothed and reduced any redness, got rid of any dry patches and made my skin glow. I can honestly say that this was my second favourite item in the set and would recommend it to anyone who has sensitive skin.  It's great for all skin types but I'd say especially for those prone to redness  There is a stone crop set that I'm considering trying out because of how much I love this masque. I may purchase the full size of this masque, if I don't end up purchasing the set first.

    Ingredients: STONE CROP, STONE CROP JUICE, ALOE, HONEY, BIOFLAVONOIDS, NATURAL MOISTURIZING FACTOR, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, BIOCOMPLEX™ (VITAMIN A, ESTHER C, VITAMIN E, COENZYME Q10, ALPHA LIPOIC ACID), XANTHAN GUM, VITAMIN B5 FROM SOY, LAVENDER OIL, LEMON OIL, CHLOROPHYL, GLYCERIN, GLYCINE DERIVATIVE.


    Apricot Whip Moisturizer Description: Complexion is revitalized with vitamins A, B, C & D found in pure apricot and carrot juice. Pectin enriches, nourishes and moisturizes; skin is smooth, supple and has a youthful glow. Apricot has long been known for its age-defying properties and makes this moisturizer extra special to use. Full size retails for $54 CAN for 2oz.

    Review: Seems I like starting off with scents first sooo....without further delay...this smells like delicious apricots and I want to eat it.  This is also my absolute favourite item in the set. It hydrates so beautifully, soaks right into the skin, no greasy feeling, perfect base for makeup, soothes any redness and didn't cause any reactions or breakouts whatsoever! I have about half the sample left because I only need to use a tiny amount, diluted with water. It's just a gorgeous facial moisturizer and I am very much thinking about purchasing the full size once I use up the sample from the kit.

    Ingredients: APRICOT, APRICOT EXTRACT, CORN GERM OIL, CARROT, BIOFLAVONOIDS, NATURAL MOISTURIZING FACTOR, NATURAL CREAM BASE, BIOCOMPLEX™ (VITAMIN A, ESTHER C, VITAMIN E, COENZYME Q10, ALPHA LIPOIC ACID), GLYCERINE, GLYCINE DERIVATIVE.




    Naseberry Treatment Cream Description: Let the superb rejuvenating fruit acids and vitamins of naseberry, grape and apple work all day or while you sleep. Realize a smooth and vibrant complexion without irritation. Moisturizes and enriches the skin, ensures long-lasting, in-depth lifting action, reduces wrinkle depth, smoothes and vitalizes the epidermis, supplies a combination of nutrients and glycolic acids to the epidermis, assists in the natural rejuvenation process of the skin. Full size retails for $62 CAN for 2oz.

    Review: I swear they put Sweet Tarts into this moisturizer because that's what it smells like.  Candy!! Hello, who doesn't love candy? I don't like Sweet Tarts but I sure do enjoy the sweet scent of them. While I prefer to use oils at night, I did use this most nights and enjoyed it.  It's quite thick and can be a tad greasy even when diluted with water.  It definitely brightened and restored moisture to my skin however I still prefer using oils at night.  I've been alternating this with the Apricot Moisturizer during the day and think that it's a wonderful product but it's not worth the splurge for me. I think this would be a great night cream for all skin types, especially dry and/or mature skin.

    Ingredients: NASEBERRY, APPLE, GRAPE, CORN GERM OIL, SWEET PAPRIKA EXTRACT, BIOFLAVONOIDS, NATURAL MOISTURIZING FACTOR, CERA ALBA, NATURAL FRUIT ACIDS 3%, NATURAL CREAM BASE, BIOCOMPLEX™ (VITAMIN A, ESTHER C, VITAMIN E, COENZYME Q10, ALPHA LIPOIC ACID), LEMON OIL, GLYCERINE, GLYCINE DERIVATIVE.

    Just when you think this never ending review is ending, it doesn't. I was curious to know what they meant by "natural cream base", "natural moisturizing factor" and glycine derivative, so I asked! Eminence sent me the below information.

    Natural Cream Base
    Stearic Acid: a plant based vegetable oil, commonly derived from sugar cane, corn or soy.
    Plant based vegetable oil
    Coconut Extract
    Glucose Sesquistearate (corn derived)
    Maize Extract
    Glycerin: plant based

    Natural Moisturizing Factor
    Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (Wheat Protein & Water).
    Citric Acid: derived from fruit, preservative
    Tocopherol: vitamin e, antioxidant

    Glycerine Derivitive
    Preservative derived from Soy. It is also an amino acid used for texture

    All in all, I highly recommend trying any of their starter sets. Since Eminence is fairly expensive, it'll give you the opportunity to try several of their products before splurging on specific ones.

    Will you be picking up a starter set?  Do you already have a favourite Eminence product?  Let me know!





    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for the comment/feedback!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...